Lakewood area patients can finally get migraine relief
Sufferers of chronic headaches will be the first to share how painful and debilitating they can be. Many of those who get frequent migraines live in constant fear that another one could strike at any time, completely disrupting daily life at any time.
Migraines are known to cause a variety of symptoms including:
- Pain – often classified as pounding or throbbing
- Light sensitivity – patients may see flashing lights, blind spots, or auras, and may be unable to be in well-lit rooms
- Nausea – migraines may cause vomiting, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite
In terms of medication, there are two main ways that migraines are treated.
- Abortive Treatment – These types of medications are taken once the patient experiences the onset of migraine symptoms. The medication can come in various forms including a pill, injection, or nasal spray. These medications typically work quickly and effectively at minimizing symptoms such as nausea or vomiting.
- Preventative Treatment – These types of medications are taken by patients who experience frequent migraines. They are effective at reducing the severity and occurrences of migraines.
At South Lakewood Dental, we see many patients who are still suffering from migraines even with medication. For these patients, we recommend an exam to determine if the migraines are related to the neuromuscular structure of the jaw, specifically temporomandibular disorder or TMD.
TMD is a condition that can cause jaw pain and chronic migraines. Treatment for TMD is accomplished through oral appliance therapy. This non-invasive custom orthotic device is effective at reducing migraines associated with TMD. The appliance is worn at night and repositions the jaw properly to minimize dysfunction, which reduces the frequency of TMD related headaches and migraines.
If you are in the Lakewood, CO area, call the team at South Lakewood Dental today at 855-233-0023 to schedule a consultation.Back to Migraines and Facial Pain Page